Thresholds of Freedom: New Beginnings
Online panel event
On January 26, 2022 artists and writers from the UK, Greece and Turkey will meet online to discuss the different aspects and necessary conditions of freedom nowadays, inaugurating a platform for creative dialogues which engage with imagined possible futures and where we are today. The two panel discussions, part of the wider Anatomy of Freedom project, curated by visual artist Maro Michalakakos, will explore key themes re-imagining our present and future:
- The relationship between the human and technological
- Regenerative ecologies
- Gender and desire
- Relationalities of the future
Panel discussions and speakers
Conditions of Freedom | 14.00
- Yen Ooi, Writer and Researcher (UK)
- Kostas Stasinopoulos, Art Historian, Associate Curator at Serpentine Galleries (UK)
- Nilufer Kuyas, Novelist, Programme Co-ordinator at the Kıraathane Istanbul Literature House (TR)
The discussion will be moderated by Elias Maglinis, Author, Editor-in-Chief of the Arts section of the Sunday edition of Kathimerini (GR).
Ecologies of Freedom | 15.00
- Maria Topali, Poet (GR)
- Zeyno Pekünlü, Artist, Head of the Istanbul Biennial Production and Research Programme, Member of the Institute of Radical Imagination (TR)
- Kate Adams, Performance Maker, Dramaturg, Member of the Board of Directors of the Climate Psychology Alliance (UK)
The discussion will be moderated by Amanda Michalopoulou, Author, Contributing Editor at Kathimerini and Tagesspiegel (GR).
The panel discussions are admission free.
Registration will remain open until Wednesday 26 January 2022.
About Anatomy of Freedom
Anatomy of Freedom is an interdisciplinary project that focuses on the idea of freedom as an existential principle that transcends time and as a constantly evolving concept and experience. On the occasion of the Bicentennial of the Greek Revolution, the project aims to create a sustainable platform for creative professionals across different disciplines and cultures (France, Greece, Italy, Turkey and UK) to work together. The panel discussions are the first phase of the project opening up a dialogue which will lead to the co-creation of an exhibition with multiple artistic works born out of a process of creating and responding across text and visual artistic practices on the nature of freedom.
Anatomy of Freedom is organised in collaboration with the British Embassy in Athens, the British Council, the Municipality of Athens, the Athens School of Fine Arts and the Kıraathane Literature House in Istanbul. It is supported by the Ministry of Culture and Sports and is taking place under the auspices of the Italian Embassy.